Thursday, November 4, 2010

Vegetable Gardening For Beginners Avoid This Costly Mistake

If you are looking for information on vegetable gardening for beginners then at least you are doing something right. You at least recognise that as a beginner gardener you are going to need some information before you chuck a few seeds out into your backyard and expect to wake up and find a healthy delicious beanstalk the next morning. So well done you have made a great start.
You see I was one of those people who woke up one morning decided we needed to start growing our own vegetables to
a) keep our spiralling household food bill down and to
b) start eating food that we had grown ourselves and that we absolutely knew was not laced with chemicals
As our ancestors have grown their own food for thousands of years without the aid of the Internet or you tube or social network sites, I knew without doubt that it would be very easy. So off to the garden centre to buy the seeds for the vegetables I wanted to plant was I. I spent money on seeds, tools, soil and I also invested in some cool looking gardening clothing, because after all it's important to look like an expert outdoors person when ploughing up your small back yard. Wrong again.
I spent several weekends planting, while my husband and children looked on sceptically. Even as my shoots started appearing I kind of knew that something was wrong, they really didn't look very good or healthy. When the time came to harvest the fruits of my labor, well there really wasn't a harvest at all. I simply had to go around and pull up all my failed attempts, and bin them ready to start again for next season.
So what did I learn? Well the first thing I gained from my experience was the fact that although our ancestors did indeed grow their own food for millennia, that does not mean it is easy for someone who has never done it before. The reason my forbears were good at is was because that was all they had, that was the only way they knew how to get food, and if they were not good at it then they starved. Everyone did it in those days so everyone knew how. It was first and second nature to them.

Fast-forward to today, and it is not first, second or third nature to us in 2010. We really haven't a clue (most of us) how to produce and grow our own food. Our land (as in our backyard vegetable patch) is no longer ready for and able to produce food without some help and preparation.
So before you even think of heading off down to the garden centre or nursery to buy your seeds for whatever vegetables you are going to plant then, do not make the same mistake as I did. Do some research, learn about the type of vegetables you would like to grow, understand what their needs and requirements are and then give them what they need. Make a plan. Remember if you fail to plan then you plan to fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment